It has been a rainy Fall here in SNJ. And today, as the rain poured down and my sweet girls battled a cold, we had to have homemade soup.
This soup is so quick and easy. I usually keep the ingredients on hand to whip up whenever the skies pour and the coughing begins.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Premade Tortellini (I used a bag of frozen tricolor stuffed with cheese; but you can use dried or fresh, filled with whatever you like!)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach (or frozen, if you use frozen, let it thaw for 20 minutes on the counter)
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, warm olive oil on medium heat. Add chopped onion, stir until softened about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, put a lid on the pot. Let the onions cook further, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil
- Add tortellini and cook according to package instructions.
- Chop fresh baby spinach into chunky pieces. Add about 1/4-1/2 cup to the bottom of a soup bowl. Ladle the hot soup on top. Season with salt/pepper.