This french toast recipe is better than Room Service and infused with oranges that will delight your taste buds. The recipe can be made with a fresh baguette or one that is stale, making it a great way to use up fresh bread (and it is way yummier than croutons). It can also be frozen and warmed up on a cookie sheet–making it a make ahead go-to recipe for special occasions or for the everyday.
Top it with your favorite jam (or whatever you have on hand). Apricot jam is my favorite topper.
1 french baguette, sliced to about 1/4”
1 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs, beaten until frothy
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
1 orange–the juice, plus zest
Vegetable oil for frying
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in large skillet on medium-high heat
- Combine milk, eggs, sugar, nutmeg, orange juice and zest in dish.
- Dip the baguette slices in the egg mixture. Allow excess egg to dip off slices.
- Fry baguette slices on both sides until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Top with your favorite jam.